How Ratings & Polls are Calculated
CongressRatings was created to allow people to share their opinions of lawmakers and cast their vote regarding their job approval of these politicians.
Each visitor is permitted to cast only one vote for each politician per day. Visitors are identified by their unique IP address and a tracking cookie.
Job approval ratings are calculated on a scale of one to five points (stars), with one star being the lowest possible rating and five stars being the highest. Each star represents twenty percent so the minimum job approval rating that any politician may receive is 1 star, or twenty percent. The maximum job approval rating any politician may receive is one hundred percent or five stars out of five stars.
The job approval rating shown is calculated by adding the total number of points received and dividing by the number of individual votes cast. For example, if a representative has been voted on by fifty visitors for a total number of 175 points, the job approval rating would be 3.5 stars (175/50=3.5). This approval rating may then be represented in multiple ways, for example; 3.5 stars out of 5, 70%, and so forth.
To date, votes for polls and approval ratings have been recorded from internet visitors, paid and non-paid surveys and personal interviews.
Margin of error on polls and job approval ratings varies between plus or minus 2%-8%. The larger the sample is, the smaller the margin of error. For polls and approval ratings that have 2401 votes or above the margin of error is estimated to be plus or minus 2%. For polls and approval ratings that have approximately 1067 votes the margin of error is estimated to be plus or minus 3%. See also;
YOUR PERSONAL DATA & TERMS OF SERVICE
We will NOT sell, publish or misuse your email address or any personal data in any way. Email newsletter subscriptions are managed by Google’s Feedburner Service, http://feedburner.google.com/.
1) Some of the Services may be subject to additional posted conditions. Your use of those Services is subject to those conditions, which are incorporated into these Terms by reference. In the event of an inconsistency between these Terms and any additional posted conditions, the provisions of the additional conditions shall control.
2) The content available through the Site is FREE FOR ANYONE TO USE but still remains property of CongressRatings Network Sites or its advertisers, suppliers or licensors. All material published on our sites, including, but not limited to, written content, photographs, graphics, images, illustrations, marks, logos, sound or video clips, and Flash animation, are protected by patent, copyright, trademark and other intellectual property laws. Except as otherwise explicitly agreed in writing, CongressRatings Network Sites-owned content received through the Site may be downloaded, displayed, reformatted and printed for your personal, non-commercial use only. Content owned by CongressRatings Network Sites advertisers, suppliers or licensors may be subject to additional restrictions. You agree not to modify, reproduce, retransmit, distribute, disseminate, sell, publish, create derivative works of, broadcast, circulate or in any way exploit any of the materials or content received through the Site to anyone without CongressRatings Network Sites’s express prior written consent.
a) You may be exposed to content that you find offensive, indecent, or objectionable or that is inaccurate, and you bear all risks associated with using that content. We have the right, but not the obligation, to remove any content that may, in our sole discretion, violate these Terms or that is otherwise objectionable. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you find something offensive.
3) Our sites contain links to other Internet sites owned by third parties. Your use of each of those sites is subject to the conditions, if any, that each of those sites has posted. We have no control over sites that are not ours, and we are not responsible for any changes to or content on them. Our inclusion on our sites of any third-party content or a link to a third-party site is not an endorsement of that content or third-party site.
4) By using this Site, you agree under penalty of perjury to make the following statements:
a) I am of legal age to view material discussed above, in accordance with the laws of the region in which I reside.
b) Any material that I am viewing is exclusively for my own personal use and I will not give, sell or otherwise provide any of it to anyone else.
c) I believe I have the unalienable right to read and/or view any type of material I choose.
d) I am aware of the standards of my local community with respect to the materials offered on this Site; I am familiar with the materials offered by this Site; and I represent, warrant and certify that the links, information, and use of materials on this Site do not violate any standard or law that applies to me. In the event that a law that applies to me comes in to affect that would prevent me from viewing material on this Site, I agree to no longer access this Site.
e) I recognize that this Site has no control over the content of websites which are listed or linked on it and that it takes no responsibility for the content of those other sites.
5) By viewing and/or using this Site, you agree that CongressRatings Network Sites will not be liable for any commercial loss; inconvenience; loss of use, time, data, goodwill, revenues, profits, or savings; or any other special, incidental, indirect, or consequential damages in any way related to or arising from your use of this Site and/or Services. You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless CongressRatings Network Sites, its employees, directors, shareholders, members, officers, agents, subsidiaries and affiliates from any and all claims, losses, damages, causes of action, liabilities and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) related to or arising out of your use of the Site and/or Services, including without limitation claims made by third parties related to your use of the Site and/or Services.
6) WE AND OUR ADVERTISERS, SUPPLIERS AND LICENSOR’S PROVIDE THE CongressRatings Network Sites SITE AND SERVICES ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS PROVIDED” BASIS, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AND SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF NON-INFRINGEMENT, TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND AVAILABILITY OF THE SITE OR SERVICES. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE DISCLAIMER OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO THE FOREGOING DISCLAIMER MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CongressRatings Network Sites MAKES NO REPRESENTATION THAT THE SITE AND/OR SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR, BUG OR VIRUS FREE AND SHALL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IN ANY WAY OR BY ANY MEANS, EITHER DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FOR ANY COMMUNICATIONS DIFFICULTIES, ACCESS DELAYS, ANY INTERRUPTION AND/OR DATA DELIVERY, NON-DELIVERY, MIS-DELIVERY, CORRUPTION, DESTRUCTION, OR EVENTS BEYOND OUR REASONABLE CONTROL.
7) WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, CongressRatings Network Sites SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU OR YOUR BUSINESS FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, SPECIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES OR LOST OR IMPUTED PROFITS OR ROYALTIES ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OF THIS SITE OR ANY GOODS OR SERVICES PROVIDED, WHETHER FOR BREACH OF WARRANTY OR ANY OBLIGATION ARISING THEREFROM OR OTHERWISE, WHETHER LIABILITY IS ASSERTED IN CONTRACT OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE AND STRICT PRODUCT LIABILITY) AND IRRESPECTIVE OF WHETHER YOU HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF ANY SUCH LOSS OR DAMAGE. YOU HEREBY WAIVE ANY CLAIM THAT THESE EXCLUSIONS DEPRIVE YOU OF AN ADEQUATE REMEDY. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL OUR LIABILITY EXCEED ONE HUNDRED U.S. DOLLARS ($100).
YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THIRD PARTY PRODUCT AND SERVICE PROVIDERS MAY ADVERTISE THEIR PRODUCTS AND SERVICES ON THE CongressRatings Network Sites SITE AND THAT CongressRatings Network Sites MAY FORM PARTNERSHIPS OR ALLIANCES WITH SOME OF THESE VENDORS FROM TIME TO TIME IN ORDER TO FACILITATE THE PROVISION OF THESE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES TO YOU. HOWEVER, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT AT NO TIME IS CongressRatings Network Sites MAKING ANY REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY REGARDING ANY THIRD PARTY’S PRODUCTS OR SERVICES, NOR WILL CongressRatings Network Sites BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY CLAIMS ARISING FROM OR IN CONNECTION WITH SUCH THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS AND SERVICES. YOU HEREBY DISCLAIM AND WAIVE ANY RIGHTS AND CLAIMS YOU MAY HAVE AGAINST CongressRatings Network Sites WITH RESPECT TO THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS AND SERVICES, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
9) Use of our Site is subject to existing laws and legal process. Nothing contained in these Terms shall limit our right to comply with governmental, court, and law-enforcement requests or requirements relating to your use of our sites.
10) You agree that regardless of any statute or law to the contrary, any claim or cause of action arising out of or related to use of our Site, Services or these Terms must be filed within one (1) year after such claim or cause of action arose or be forever barred.
11) These Terms shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New Jersey, and the parties irrevocably consent to bring any action to enforce these Terms before a court of competent jurisdiction in Bergen County, New Jersey, or if such jurisdiction is not available, then in a Federal Court in the District of New Jersey.